I’m very excited about my first interview on here. I chose someone that kind of intrigued and baffled me in what he’s chosen as his career. JT Tran, or self-proclaimed “Asian Playboy,” has created a business based on helping Asian men improve their dating skills. That’s not what baffles me. We could all use some social skills help. However, ABCs of Attraction is a pick-up-artist company specifically designed to help Asian men pick up non-Asian women. Controversial? Maybe. However, he claims that due to Asian women’s percentage of ‘out-marrying’—marrying outside of Asian culture— is so high that Asian men “need to start out-dating” for their own survival. As an Asian woman who has dated my share of Asian and white guys, I’m a little hesitant about a business specifically directing Asian men to date outside our race. But decide for yourself.
Here are the six questions I asked JT:
1. What do you think is the biggest mistake Asian men make when trying to pick up women?
2. I assume you weren’t always a suave and smooth pick up artist. How did you overcome your initial fears of speaking to women?
3. Do you have a girlfriend?
4. Is it true that you specifically help Asian men pick up non-Asian women?
5. A couple months ago you wrote a blog post reply to Jenny An’s article “I’m an Asian Woman and I Refuse to Ever Date an Asian Man” in XOJane. You wrote that she’s not special and that she’s racist. How do you justify that when you publish a site called AsianManWhiteWoman.com and you yourself admit to, “..drowning myself in the bosoms of as many buxom, blonde beauties as I could.”
6. Why do you prefer dating non-Asian women? Do you think there is some internalized racism going on there?
Questions: Do you have a specific “type” you’re attracted to? Are you aware of it? Has it changed over the years?